Sunday, April 24, 2011

It is Done

Tokyo-to, Shinjuku-ku, Okubo 1-1-43. I'm a 2 minute walk from the cavernous Toei-Oedo line, maybe 15 minutes to Shinjuku station, and about 10 to Shinokubo station. Maybe a 10 minute walk to one of the wildest areas in Tokyo, Kabukicho, and I also live within those same limits from 3 of my favorite venues.

Schools started, and man is it different. Not in a bad way, but in a "this is Tokyo and there is money in Tokyo, and where there are responsible people with money, there are really nice schools" kind of way. My Junior High School has a population of about 300 students, and my elementary is maybe over 400. The JHS was built in the late 80's and has sculptures and gardens and rooms that approximate what little kids think of when they think of NASA. The teachers all seem pretty alright, the students can actually speak the language, and the lunch lady is a super babe. The elementary school is older, but still nice with a pretty decent playground. That's right, I play with kids at recess now. Dodgeball seems to be their game of choice, but I may end up trying to get them into kickball or, even better, wall/buttball.

I'm also now getting into voice acting, and come the 29th I'll have submitted my first/test article as a music reporter to a culture magazine, for a Noise A-Go-Gos/Die You Bastard!/Terror Squad show at Shinokubo Earthdom. Whether or not I'll make the cut is yet to be determined, but I'm hopeful that they'll keep me on. Finally, I'm also working on getting a band together with my friend Ian. Basically we need a drummer, but even without we've been arranging some things and talking about the general direction we want to go in. Sounds like he found some french drummer this weekend, so I'm not really concerned that thisll take a while. I havent even put fliers up yet. Christ, I've only been here for a little over a week and all this shit is happening.

SO… Once you've stopped being scared of radiation, potential high-magnitude aftershocks, and possible impending second-wave tsunamis, save some money and come visit me in fucking Tokyo!

5 comments: