Saturday, November 28, 2009

howdya like video games?

Figger I ought to write after James' un-fucking-believable analysis. And to prove him wrong, I'm gonna write about video games

My ex-roommate modded my nintendo wii so I have like 28 billion games to play. I'm making my way through them slowly, mostly in the early level and training phases. By the far the most arresting game is New Super Mario Brothers. It is a dastardly difficult 2D platformer, with dementedly hairy puzzles and a brilliant bend towards multiplayer. If anyone is as obsessed with the Nintendo formula as I am you will understand that making Mario multiplayer is a goddamn revolution. Dynamism pops, and both co-op and competitive gameplay is around every bend, with each moment throwing something wild at you.

It's an extremely interesting blend of throwbacks when you look at it. The board layout directly resembles SMB3, with the world progression so far identical (grass, desert, ice) and power-ups available from the board screen (ice flowers and penguin suits make sparkling debuts here). However, I feel as though there is a terrific re-introduction of SMB1 in the mostly horizontal layout and speed-through feel that one achieves. Nonetheless, Super Mario World definitely shows through with the puzzle elements, the Koopa kids, the inclusion of Yoshi and the general artistic look. I feel the latter is one setback of the game which I feel is lacking in power and innovation. When you could have one tenth of the whimsical magic Super Mario Galaxy had, you have repetitive platforms and boring backgrounds. I never forget that the Wii is an inferior system.

Which leads me to my next game: The Conduit. I almost bought this game before I realized I can get any game I want for free through this pirate system. The reviews threw it up as one of the best shooters for the Wii (no surprise, what's the fucking competition?), considering the Wiimote's aptitude in this field and the revolution in customization (tweaking can and may occur constantly). Once again, in character models, board repetition, and enemy AI, this game is a disappointment but there are some puzzle elements to be enjoyed. I'm only one level deep, though and I look forward to some interesting weapons.

I'm picking up Excite Bots: Trick Racing. Still very early on, I feel like this is a diamond in the rough. Fast and fun, with lots of style and replay value (many purchasable and unlockable elements) this game may catch more of my attention once I get a little more into it. Multiplayer has not yet been experienced, though (and may not be an option! Hard to believe, but hard to find: I doubt it's an unlockable...)

Wii Sports Resort is a fun diversion and a great crowd pleaser. Fencing definitely gets your claws out, but it can revert into thoughtless slashing with no formula to a proper fight. Flight is cute but slightly pointless, and the dog-fight option doesn't really hash out. Jet-ski is fun and challenging. I look forward to beating my high score from the first time I played it. Ping Pong is certainly masterable considering spin is an element, but there's only so much you can play, right? This goes for most of the modes here, especially the more repetitive ones like canoeing, wakeboarding and biking. A major winner in my eyes, is Frisbee (don't act so surprised). Frisbee Golf has an 18 hole course that I haven't dove into but it is responsive, challenging, and fucking sick when you (I) get a hole in one.

No More Heroes has style up the wazoooooo and a terrific script but it seems as though it is very limited on the action and exploration side of things.

House of the Dead: Overkill is a fun, easy shooter with a terrible terrible terrible script attempt at a pulpy B movie.

Lost Winds 2 is supposed to be amaaaaaazing but I haven't started it yet.

I look forward to booting up Trauma Center: New Blood with a co-surgeon at my side. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment