Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Weird

So my High School was/is pretty well respected, and most people who went/go there tend to go to college, lead normal-ish, middle-class lives. Then there's this story I saw in the local Pittsburgh paper today, mentioning one of my classmates (admittedly a very experimental drug user, though I always thought he was a really intelligent guy past the facade) who is now part of an FBI investigation because, after having been arrested on 8 charges of felony drug counts as well as aggravated assault, he had the living shit beat out of him by jail guards. Ended up with a broken nose, bruised eyes, perforated eardrums, ''...and possibly other head injuries.'' Fucked up picture included in the article.

Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure why I'm posting this... I guess its just kind of weird seeing someone who I kind of respected as, albeit incredibly fringe, intelligent in a wholly different kind of way reduced to this pathetic image of a mentally-broken serious drug abuser (8 felony counts of possession implies so much) who's been physically broken by none other than the Man. I can't help but wonder, 'where, if anywhere at all, do his freedoms lie?' He can't trust himself, and he can't trust the Man - both have reduced him to barely anything at all. What options does this guy have, who once struck me as a very outsider creative force? Shit, guy was one of the main influences on me deciding to start drawing...

2 comments:

  1. it's always very strange to hear stories like this about high school friends/acquaintances. even if you weren't super close with them, whatever news you receive tends to sit around in your head for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real, right? Not like I was friends with the guy, just talked occasionally to fill dead air.

    ReplyDelete