Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Drain

So there's this comic/record shop downtown called Eide's and its awesome for, well, you know why its awesome. Anyway, its like 2 blocks away from where I work, and I finally put two and two together yesterday during my lunch break: I can hang out there for like 2 hours every time I work a double shift. Now, this is both a blessing and a curse - a blessing because I love music/collecting vinyl and also am on a Swamp Thing kick, but a curse as well because from this point on I will be keeping roughly 20% of all income that I make on the job due to this newly-realized time-killer/money-hole. I'm totally excited though, especially because its one of those record shops that rotates its collection seemingly at random intervals, but frequently, and they usually have one or two decently priced "holy shit I can't believe they have this" vinyls on hand.

Those ladies from Kazakhstan (I was told Kyrgyzstan) seem pretty cool. One of them has a huge pompadour, and the other speaks like Toki Wartooth (despite not being from anywhere close to Norway). Speaking of Dethklok, I just read about an actual show they had where a pretty big electrical fire broke out during which very few people actually complied with the authorities request to leave. Finally, they did, but how brutal would it be if the cartoon was more or less a self-fulfilling prophecy of the real-life band, and people frequently died during their shows, as kind-of almost happened here?

I'll be headed down to D.C. again later this month, probably from the 29th to the 31st for yet another interview with a teach-english-in-japan company. I was wait-listed for JET, meaning that if/when someone who was offered the position cancels they'll come to me, but this is problematic seeing as I could be summoned by JET HQ anytime from now until fucking December, and I 'd really love to start working a real job that I actually want to be doing sometime in the near future (and besides all this waiting shit is really getting to me). Supposedly most kids who are on the wait-list for JET do get offered a position eventually, so I'm still relatively confident (knock on wood) about getting over there via that specific program, but in case I don't, I'd like to have other options, hence this upcoming interview with Interac in D.C.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds like an awesome shop. i last month i started working at a marketing company in union square, and there's a pretty cool comic shop a block away that i have mixed feelings on. on the one hand, it actually shelves its trades by author, so i don't have to sift through 500 copies of essential x-men to find the grant morrison books i want. but, i'm loyal to midtown comics, by grand central, because they give me $20 in free comics for ever $100 i spend.

    LABELS: FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. wtf is Swamp Thing? I assume a So Fucking Metal First World Problem...
    Good luck with JET and maybe I will JET over to JAPAN to SEE you...haha...maybe.

    ReplyDelete