Friday, March 6, 2009

Now I'm just bored and its real late.

So here are some youtube videos of all of the metal bands that 4 of my friends in Pittsburgh, who are totally not into metal (favorite bands include Van Morrison, The National, Les Savy Fav, The Minutemen, The Kinks (other bands I'm into outside of metal/hardcore), etc.), are into (who somehow came across these bands by themselves, even though they are some of my favorite metal (and black metal at that) bands). Melodies are real good at all times, with the exception of Krallice who sometimes go into super angular/mathy/jazz-via-metal-over-drive (due to their lead guitarist's history in bands like Crom-Tech and Orthrelm)... although ya'll probably won't like the vocals. Still, it strikes me as strange that my best friends in Pittsburgh, who are mostly all against any metal or hardcore of any kind, like these bands without me having told them about them, so I figured I might try to at least show you guys what the word on the other side of the old-school rock/contemporary rock/indie realm is about (totally not meant to be derogatory - you know me, I listen to all kinds of lame (i.e A-Ha, Depeche Mode, etc...) music).


Wilby, I tried to find some videos of a band called Dark Storm for their drummer, but Youtube has failed me this one time. Aside from Hella, I haven't heard such a multi-faceted drummer as Hella, or Isis, or (as I know you really like, and as musicians anyway, I really respect (even if I'm not so into their music)) Coheed's as this guy from Dark Storm - his drumming, and especially pace, are absolutely out of this world. Anyway, at least try to enjoy what I'm throwing up. Not expecting it, though...

Wolves In the Throne Room - Vastness and Sorrow - From Olympia, WA
* Nick, you might like these guys at least philosophically due to their involvement with various different agriculture movements (mostly leftist). They live on their own 100+ acres of farm land, growing their own food and trying to use as little natural resources as possible - hence their constant canceling (aside from the roadburn festival in Holland) of shows outside of their state, and also hence their monthly shows on their own property (in the middle of the woods, with a bonfire and all).


Nachtmystium - Assassins - From Wheaton, IL
* Maybe the most appealing to those not really into metal as they have draw some pretty serious influence from the 60's and 70's psyche rock bands (Pink Flloyd at the top of that list, in more than sound only). This is the band that all of the dudes I know agree on liking.


Krallice 0 Wretched Wisdom - From NYc, NY
* These guys are at once the most listenable (as in, in the vein of Weakling - a pretty melodic Black Metal band) and also the most avant/challenging (as in their lead guitarist's participation in bands like Crom-Tech and Orthrelm) black metal band from America.


P.S. Wolves in the Throne Room have on their 3 (well, 2 released and 1 upcoming) albums a woman from some LA hardcore band that I can't find any info about whose voice is phenomenal. On their 2 released albums, there are 4 tracks a piece, and on 2 tracks of those 4 this woman sings opera-quality vocals - real beautiful stuff. That juxtaposed against their incredibly atmospheric music is possibly one of the best things I've heard vocals vs. music stuff wise since I started listening to Magma (who I think destroys King Crimson (even though King Crimson kicks some serious ass))... Its so good that sometimes I go to bed to the tracks she sings on of Wolves in the Throne Rooms' .

No comments:

Post a Comment