Thursday, June 4, 2009

More new music, and you might even like it!

I just posted my top 5 shoegaze albums by bands (1st gen) formed before '93 (excluding MBV and Slowdive) on my other blog that yinz all know so well, www.lucidmeda.blogspot.com. You should check it out.

I'm pretty sure I'll be down at Mellon Arena for the game tonight and I'm totally stoked. I saw the footage from last game and it was packed, or at least as packed as a place that is outside can be.

And in other news, I had another interview for a job teaching english in Japan in DC this past weekend which I absolutely dominated. I've never come out of an interview so confident... or even half as confident. I'm around 95% sure I'll be in Japan by September of this year. It really pays off tutoring Japanese, having studied abroad and put together community service projects, speaking frequently with the president of the Japan-america Society of Pennsylvania about planning ideas and volunteer/job opportunities, and having volunteered for an Asian film festival in the past 5 months. Awesome!

4 comments:

  1. DOIT!!! It's about goddamn time for you, my man, and I would loooove to visit Japan under the guise of Drunk Master Sensei Ketchum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt congrats on the interview. Also, that must have been pretty crazy at the Mellon Arena. Especially with the shorthanded goal. I was pessimistic but it looks likes we have a serries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yr telling me! I'd say our game in the past 2 has narrowly (being realistic) trumped Detroit's. And Osgood is definitely looking tired. If there's one thing I'm worried about Saturday night in Detroit, its those active boards that their arena has. However, if they prove a hinderance, I want to say they will be less so because a.) the pens have some momentum going for them, b.) both teams haven't been at that stadium for 2 games meaning that Detroits at least a bit accustomed to Mellon's own boards, and that the Pens have had time to think about what Detroit's arena has to offer, and c.) fuck Detroit.

    So wait, Jonah, you plan on assuming my identity in order to go to Japan? But in all honesty, if/when I get this position, yinz're all more'n welcome to visit. Considering my background/how qualified I am/my non-preference for a big city, I might actually be placed somewhere near one of 2.5 metropolises (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto) but that's no guarantee. No problem though: even if I am in a rural location (and I'm pretty sure that's where I'd like to be - lower cost-of-living + higher pay + actually being in the thick of real Japanese culture = awesome) it won't be more than probably 2 hours by train to a major city (unless I get placed on Chichijima, which is, get this, a 25 HOUR ferry from Japan into the Pacific), and besides that, rural Japan is way more fun/friendly, especially when you have a real cool dude who speaks the laaaaanguage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the other day melanie and i found round trip tickets to japan for just about $1000. pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete