Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Rib Bone's Connected To The Internet

As this is my first post, I thought I'd talk about something near and dear to my heart, and leave some of the doom and gloom for later. So I'm going to talk about ribs, which are probably the primary reason I have never become a vegetarian despite the plethora of good reasons to do so, and also the most delicious meat product yet devised by man. I made ribs tonight for dinner, and because I live at home with no job, this activity didn't cost me any money and gave me something worthwhile to do. I started with a dry rub, composed mainly of brown sugar, a mesquite rub, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, paprika and some mustard for good measure. I then placed the ribs in an aluminum foil tent and placed them in a metal baking dish with a little water, and baked those suckers for a little over an hour at 325 degrees. The water was critical, as it regulated the cooking temperature and provided some much need moisture (nothing worse than dry ribs). I then undid the foil tent, and put them back in the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees to brown up, pulled them out and slathered them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Rays is not my favorite BBQ sauce, but it serves in a pinch, and was the most esteemed product available at the ghetto ass Giant by my house. The ribs turned out succulent and delicious, and gave my day a direction and momentum all too infrequent in this unemployed world. I recommend them to everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Barbeque sauces/rubs have always intimidated me as it seems kind of like alchemy - there are very specific ingredients and measurements that produce the desired product, but there is so much room for dud-yielding error.

    AlsoIdon'teatmeatsoblahblahblahblah TOFU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of winged it on the dry rub. I had some basic proportions, but I basically tried to balance the sweetness of the brown sugar with the kick of the cayenne and paprika, without it being too salty to dry out the ribs. All in all it worked out, but there's room for tinkering, but that's the joy I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds delish...nick i didn't know you liked to cook. i was thinking of throwing up some recipes, but my concern was that i only loosely base things off of recipes, and therefore they can be hard to explain...but i see you have done that here! muahaha.

    ReplyDelete