Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Overheard in the Schnitzlein car

Driving back from Vermont this weekend, I overheard Melanie and her mother discuss an incident from when Melanie was in high school...

Mrs. Schnitzlein: "Melanie do you remember, this here is that vintage shop where you got that dress for that sweet sixteen you were going to?"
Melanie: "Oh my god..."
Mrs. S.: "That really intricate thing...the one that looked like what somebody on the Titanic wore...lots of lace and buttons."
Melanie: (laughing) "Oh man..."
Mrs. S.: "What?"
Melanie: "..."
Mrs. S.: "What is it?"
Melanie: "Do you want to hear something really bad?"
Mrs. S.: "Oh what did you do?"
Melanie: "Ahhhh I don't want to say it!"
Peter (from the back seat): "Spill it."
Melanie: "I destroyed it."
Mrs. S: (incredulous look)
Melanie: "Well like right after I bought it I became totally convinced that it was ridiculous and that nobody else would be wearing anything even nearly like it, but I knew that since I made you spend so much money on it you would make me wear it so...well first I purposely spilled a bunch of soy sauce on the back."
Mrs. S.: "Wait I think I remember this..."
Melanie: "But yeah so then I came back later only to find that the dress had been washed, totally clean, no soy sauce...So i ripped the back and removed like all the buttons and was like, 'Oh we must have just missed thissssssss.'"
Mrs. S.: "Oh my god."
Peter: (laughing)
Mrs. S.: "You're a liar and you're going to burn in hell one day."

No comments:

Post a Comment